[Rpm-ecosystem] rpm-md xmlns points to dead URL

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 26 15:28:29 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-10-26 at 01:12 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was recently inspecting some generated rpm-md files, and I noticed the
> following is the first line in the metadata:
>
> <repomd xmlns="http://linux.duke.edu/metadata/repo" xmlns:rpm="
> http://linux.duke.edu/metadata/rpm">
>
> ​The problem with this is that the URLs are dead.​ I wouldn't be surprised
> if everything related to rpm-md data definitions that pointed to Duke
> University are gone.

 xmlns attributes are a URI, not a URL. As far as I know there hasn't
ever been anything there, it's just a namespace. While the format was
discussed on mailing lists, nobody ever wrote "official" documentation
on it.

> Is there something that could be done about this?

 Even if someone wanted to put some info there now, I don't think anyone
involved in the rpm ecosystem is affiliated with Duke.