[Rpm-ecosystem] Using rpm db to track unneeded packages

Tomas Chvatal tchvatal at suse.cz
Fri Apr 1 12:05:46 UTC 2016

Hello,

I was wondering if it would be possible to extend rpmdb to contain
information about how package was pulled in the dependency graph.

At this point we at openSUSE have some sort of solver trying to
magically do it in zypper and you guys at Fedora have it in dnf.

I would more like to see it tracked in the rpm because that way we
could properly have all packages in the db, including the ones users
installed via rpm commands and could see if they are
 a) directly requested by user
 b) just dependency of something and thus eligible for removal

I guess dnf/zypper would just flag them during install as True/False
depending if they are direct request or dependency and for rpm we would
always flag them as True for the solver as requested by user.

Would something like this make sense?

Cheers

Tom