[Rpm-ecosystem] Sync of rpm macros between Fedora/openSUSE

Tomas Chvatal tchvatal at suse.cz
Fri Apr 1 11:45:15 UTC 2016

Hello everybody,

I would like to ask about possibility to spent some time to sync macros
between our nice distributions.

I've seen email from Florian asking about the similar thing in the
archives, so to bit expand on what I have on my mind.

As in past i would like to first review the macros we have in both and
try to sync them to some common degree.
There are areas that are quite fine, like python, but also areas
diverging horribly, like systemd macros.

Atm most of the macros are stored together with the packages they are
used for (kde macros in kde, systemd in systemd, python in python, etc
etc). I would suggest we create some common repository to contain these
and slowly merge them in. After all the packages can then download
files from this repository quite fine and we can still keep the
modularity of not having to put all the macros to rpm or to have some
package like rpm-macros-blob containing everything.

Because as we did this already once in past it worked for a bit but
then we started to diverge a lot again. With common repository we could
accomodate for most needs and actually make it work.

Ie. we at SUSE have multiple ruby implementations so we have overbroad
macros for that, but there is no reason why those macros could not
understand RH system and use simplified values for that and vice-versa
in other scenarios.

What would you think about this?

Cheers

Tom