[Rpm-ecosystem] Eliminating %dist/%mkrel/etc and Release field hacking

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 14:26:36 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Michael Schroeder <mls at suse.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 09:08:27AM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
>> OpenMandriva's version of RPM has a slight tweak to wire up
>> RPMTAG_DISTTAG to contain their tag ("omv") and added RPMTAG_DISTEPOCH
>> to contain the distribution release version ("2015.0" in this case).
>> Version comparison has been tweaked to treat RPMTAG_DISTEPOCH like a
>> package epoch, which prevents certain kinds of brokenness in exotic
>> situations, such as distribution renames.
>
> Ah, but that's slightly incorrect. The distepoch is not working
> like the epoch, it is looked at when the epoch/version/release
> entries match. Which makes it kind of pointless in my opinion.

Maybe, but not every depsolver could necessarily handle it that way. I
didn't even know if libsolv supported it yet. Dependency resolvers can
choose to handle the tags in the manner best appropriate to them.

> Personally, I don't really think something like this is needed.
> SUSE does distribution updates with 'zypper dup', Fedora does it
> (or thinks about doing it) with distro-sync. In both cases the
> version/release entries of the installed packages are ignored.

Yes, but those are not ordinary cases, and other distributions handle
this differently. If it's being handled as if it's a normal upgrade
process (which some distributions do), then it would matter.