[Rpm-ecosystem] rpm-ostree's usage of libhif/hawkey merge

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Jan 26 15:53:40 UTC 2016

Hey,

So rpm-ostree is something that's not like a traditional package manager, but wants to deeply integrate with the rpm ecosystem (rpm-md repos, depsolving, etc.).

I have a (IMO cool =) ) demo of some of these new features for my Devconf.cz talk:
https://devconfcz2016.sched.org/event/32299ab85fa02e48a2fcf77826c5cc82

While I am trying trying to do increasingly advanced things, this is problematic
as libhif's current design is trying to wrap hawkey/librepo/librpm under a high
level interface.

See for example:
https://github.com/rpm-software-management/libhif/pull/62#issuecomment-147811600

There's also:

https://github.com/rpm-software-management/libhif/pull/69

I have a concrete suggestion: what if we made libhif suitable for use as a git submodule
for now (install to e.g. $libdir/rpm-ostree/libhif.so) ?  That way I can iterate quickly
on API changes without blocking for a long time.  If I can't actually make use of a change
I've submitted for weeks it just dramatically impacts iteration time.  I'd obviously keep sending patches
upstream.

Then after things shake out, we can return to making libhif a regular shared library,
and commit to a stable API?