[Rpm-ecosystem] rpm-ostree's usage of libhif/hawkey merge

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 16:27:03 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> So rpm-ostree is something that's not like a traditional package manager, but wants to deeply integrate with the rpm ecosystem (rpm-md repos, depsolving, etc.).
>
> I have a (IMO cool =) ) demo of some of these new features for my Devconf.cz talk:
> https://devconfcz2016.sched.org/event/32299ab85fa02e48a2fcf77826c5cc82
>
> While I am trying trying to do increasingly advanced things, this is problematic
> as libhif's current design is trying to wrap hawkey/librepo/librpm under a high
> level interface.
>
> See for example:
> https://github.com/rpm-software-management/libhif/pull/62#issuecomment-147811600
>
> There's also:
>
> https://github.com/rpm-software-management/libhif/pull/69
>
> I have a concrete suggestion: what if we made libhif suitable for use as a git submodule
> for now (install to e.g. $libdir/rpm-ostree/libhif.so) ?  That way I can iterate quickly
> on API changes without blocking for a long time.  If I can't actually make use of a change
> I've submitted for weeks it just dramatically impacts iteration time.  I'd obviously keep sending patches
> upstream.
>
> Then after things shake out, we can return to making libhif a regular shared library,
> and commit to a stable API?

That would break way too many things. The problem with what your
suggesting that it implies you are the only consumer of libhif. On top
of that, using libhif as a git submodule implies that you'd be editing
the codebase directly.

We can't really afford to have people do stuff like that. If you
really think you've got needs that aren't addressed yet, please talk
to Richard Hughes about it and work with him directly to satisfy your
needs for rpm-ostree.