[Rpm-ecosystem] rpm-ostree's usage of libhif/hawkey merge

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 17:54:04 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 12:40 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016, at 11:27 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:
>
>> That would break way too many things.
>
> What would break, exactly?

Well, if you keep altering all the interfaces, especially the public
ones used by PackageKit and DNF, then there will be problems for
developers and consumers of these programs. There's also Koschei,
which uses hawkey (now libhif) for its depsolving for CI, too.

>> The problem with what your
>> suggesting that it implies you are the only consumer of libhif.
>
> I guess I didn't spell out that I was also suggesting we still
> support installing it as a shared library.  But maybe Richard
> or Jan would want to change dnf/PackageKit to also use it
> as a submodule, I don't know.
>
>> On top
>> of that, using libhif as a git submodule implies that you'd be editing
>> the codebase directly.
>
> Yes.  For a while.
>
>> We can't really afford to have people do stuff like that.
>
> Your use of the term "we" here seems odd given I have
> commits in most of the git repos under discussion here, while you
> have zero.

That's uncalled for there.

I have spent the last four months painstakingly working on integration
of DNF into Mageia[1] and I've also been working for the last three
months on integration of the stack for Unity Linux, and I have indeed
committed code to DNF and its various plugins repositories.

I've also contributed to libhif (admittedly only one commit to add RPM
Group tag support), and I talk with Richard somewhat frequently about
this. As it is, I *am* working on code for PackageKit-Hif to make it a
bit more flexible about what platform configuration it uses in a way
that would make Richard happy, and may even have to make commits to
libhif to make it work (though I doubt it, at the moment).

I've also submitted changes to rpm, createrepo_c, libsolv, hawkey,
librepo, and libcomps. The only changes I've submitted that have not
made it in yet are the ones to rpm (because generally PRs seem to pile
up anyway there), and libcomps (who seems to not actually work on that
library of his, since my PR has been pending since September!).

I'm working on making this stack work in TWO different Linux
distributions, and potentially may be working on a third one soon
after.

Eventually, higher level tools like rpm-ostree may be something I'll
tackle too, but don't imply that I don't help develop this stuff. I
do.

[1]: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:Add_DNF_as_Alternate_Repository_Manager