[Rpm-ecosystem] rpm-ostree's usage of libhif/hawkey merge

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Jan 26 18:12:43 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016, at 12:54 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:

> Well, if you keep altering all the interfaces, especially the public
> ones used by PackageKit and DNF, then there will be problems for
> developers and consumers of these programs.

What I'm trying to say is that given we know we need to break
APIs for two reasons:

 1) To merge libhif/hawkey
 2) To expose more lower-level APIs for rpm-ostree

(At least those two)

There's going to be a lot of churn.  My offhand take here is
that both rpm-ostree and PackageKit should embed libhif,
and we collaborate on reviewing patches upstream, but
accept temporary levels of forking.

koschei should stick with hawkey-python for now.

dnf is the hard one, particularly given the desire to better
integrate PK and dnf (and the whole daemon vs not daemon thing).
Maybe they could try having a branch that uses a new libhif?
I think in practice it'd be better to have finalized some of the concepts
of the C API before we start trying to rebase dnf on libhif.

But I'm just making things up here.

> That's uncalled for there.
>
> I have spent the last four months painstakingly working on integration
> of DNF into Mageia[1] and I've also been working for the last three
> months on integration of the stack for Unity Linux, and I have indeed
> committed code to DNF and its various plugins repositories.

Okay.  I had only seen you comment once or twice.  I felt your response
was not addressing my concerns - in fact you skipped over the fact
that I have multiple outstanding PRs to libhif that were linked in
the original message.