[Rpm-ecosystem] rpm-ostree's usage of libhif/hawkey merge

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Jan 28 14:28:25 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016, at 05:10 AM, Honza Šilhan wrote:

> When librepo will be part of libhif we will hide the details too

Is that part of the plan?  That'd be great, and would really help us bind
things together more sanely.

> I am rather against submoduling. Everyone would have it's own version and that's
> actually against the goal of hawkey/librepo/libhif merge.

I'm talking about *temporarily* remember.  The thing is that having multiple consumers
of an API unstable library that release on different cycles and aren't
coordinated is *really* prone to breakage.  At least with the standard distribution
"one version of a shared library" model.

One important thing I need to mention is that I need to build on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2,
which may not be a constraint that applies to anyone else...so perhaps then there
can be a while where I git submodule libhif, and anyone else who doesn't want that
can skip it.

Anyways, I'll look at rebasing rpm-ostree on master hopefully soon, and after I
try I'll be better informed about the results.  But again the problem for me is
that it becomes a "flag day", and as such the only option is to git branch rpm-ostree
and just do stable updates until this all sorts out (which isn't out of the question),
or git submodule.