[Rpm-ecosystem] rpm -> lua -> ncurses

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Jul 26 14:27:06 UTC 2016

I'm sure this has come up before, but I tried searching at least
mailing lists without much luck.

At least in Fedora and CentOS the "lua" package drags in ncurses
which in turn is the first thing to pull in libstdc++ among other things.

The background is I'm working on:
https://github.com/cgwalters/centos-dockerbase-minimal

Do any RPM users fix this somehow?  I tried reading the
current OpenEmbedded-Core code, and it looks like they
do build with Lua off, and presumably don't rely on it
on their generated packages.

(Actually in Fedora, we should really use less Lua...e.g. what's going on currently with the Lua
 code in the "filesystem" package is ridiculous, but let's assume
 for now we need to support Lua)

It seems we could likely safely assume no packages are using
ncurses via lua...so perhaps splitting that dependency off would
make the most sense.

Has anyone else done work in this area?