[Rpm-ecosystem] RFC: Better handling of per distro RPM macros

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 16:23:10 UTC 2016

Dne 4.3.2016 v 15:58 Florian Festi napsal(a):
> On 03/04/2016 01:02 PM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
>> I would prefer if the language specific macros are not part of RPM
>> at all. For Ruby on Fedora, we keep them part of Ruby package and it
>> works just fine. Not sure why it should not be case for other
>> languages (and I hope that for example Fedora's Perl guys are working
>> toward this goal).
> Keeping those language specific stuff close to the language packages is
> probably a good idea. What I do not really like is that things will be
> split up by distribution with no mechanism of syncing up at least from
> time to time. So I am basically looking for a way to get the best of
> both worlds: Having the people who actually care in charge why
> maintaining an central synchronization point between distributions.

Well, that it noble goal and has my support, but for example, the
packaging standards for Ruby quite wildly differs between openSUSE and
Fedora.

These differences stem from fundamental differences like support for
single Ruby version in Fedora vs support of multiple versions of Ruby in
openSUSE.

But that is Ruby, different languages may share more of course ....

Vít