[Rpm-ecosystem] Writing a dnf plugin to better deal with out of tree kernel modules

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Thu Oct 6 12:56:58 UTC 2016

On 10/06/2016 12:39 PM, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> Dne 6.10.2016 v 12:26 Florian Festi napsal(a):
>> On 10/06/2016 12:16 PM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
>>> Actually is this really DNF issue?
>>>
>>> DNF resolves the dependencies properly and installs what can be
>>> installed. E.g. it keeps the kernel-core-4.6.1-1 which is compatible
>>> with the module on the system as long as the module is installed, while
>>> nothing prohibits installation of more recent kernel.
>>>
>>> The problem is that the default boot loader entry is modified. Or that
>>> kernel is blindly trying to load inappropriate modules.
>> I disagree. It is the job of dnf and rpm to make sure all the desired
>> packages get installed and having the matching modules installed with
>> the new kernel is clearly what is the right thing to do here.
>
> And I have to disagree here. If there was only possible to install
> single kernel at the time, everything would work. E.g. kernel won't be
> updated as long as there is no updated module. Everybody would be happy.
>
> The kernel maintainers claims that kernels can be installed side by
> side, but apparently this is not fully true. If there are kernel modules
> build against specific version of kernel, they should be probably
> installed into some versioned folder, so kernel 4.6.1 loads just modules
> for kernel 4.6.1 and does not try to load modules for kernel 4.6.2. But
> this is probably not true.
>
> Of course part of the equation (at least for Fedora) is that 3rd party
> kernel modules are not supported by kernel maintainers, so this is
> non-issue for them.

One of us is not getting the original question. I've been assuming that
there are binary packages available containing the pre compiled modules
which are also able to be installed in parallel and have the modules in
separate locations. If this is the not the case I agree that dnf can't
do a thing about this. But as I read the original question these package
are supplied but just not at the same speed as new kernel packages.

Florian

Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
Michael O'Neill