[Rpm-ecosystem] Special meaning of "+" (?) separator

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 12:10:19 UTC 2016

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 8:07 AM, Florian Festi <ffesti at redhat.com> wrote:
> Changing the way + is treated in version compare is really a bad idea.
> So this feature would need a new char that is currently not permitted in
> versions. Candidates include: #, ^, @, §, $, ?

Why is changing '+' in version comparison a bad idea? It currently
exists as a separator that does nothing, and every usage of it I've
seen even in RPM-based distros makes the assumption that it works the
way the proposed changes will actually make it function.

If anything, this would align how the operator is used in practice,
which is always a good thing, in my book.