[Rpm-ecosystem] Special meaning of "+" (?) separator

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 13:46:39 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 9:34 AM, James Antill <jantill at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-09-14 at 14:27 +0200, Igor Gnatenko wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Why not stick the "git" in the front?

>> > Why is this a problem?  For RCs you need to use ~ anyway, because
>> > otherwise
>> > 1.0.rc1 > 1.0:
>> RCs was just example (probably bad example). if we use `git` before
>> date we just lucky that letters are sorted before numbers:
>> 1.0.git20160101 < 1.0.1
>>
>> But idea was to have something which will be higher than "base"
>> version, but less than anything else.
>
>  But putting git at the front does that, people/projects don't have
> versions like 1.0.<text> ... so I can't think of any examples where it
> will break down. Having a quick look through the packages with "*git*"
> and what other versions they have should be a good check if you are
> still worried.

And that actually would fix the sorting problem without requiring
extra patches, meaning that '+' can still be used, provided that text
is properly structured after it. Though it doesn't really solve the
problem for dealing with when you've used a leading integer due to non
alphabetic sorting of pre-release and post-release tags.