[Rpm-ecosystem] lua, unprivileged rpm, and rpm-ostree

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu May 18 13:07:00 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 18, 2017, at 03:00 AM, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> %pretrans certainly is a bit special but there's nothing that says that
> it's for upgrades only. Packages are free to do whatever they damn will
> in it, whether new install or upgrade. If you haven't seen it being used
> for non-upgrade purposes then you really haven't looked very hard.

Of course,  but we can also fix the packages.  It sounds like you know
of specific examples?

One I am aware of is the absolute insanity going on in Fedora with
the `filesystem` and `setup` packages.   We currently work
around that in rpm-ostree:

https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/blob/68c8d5e03946f2cafdaa052e9a7d9f38256a0596/src/libpriv/rpmostree-core.c#L2491

But in general, if not using `%pretrans` as a workaround for limitations
in traditional RPM in-place upgrades (a problem which again due to the "always assemble new root"
architecture of rpm-ostree, doesn't affect us), why not use `%post` or
`%posttrans`?

Anyways I'll do some hunting in at least the Fedora specs for more.