[Rpm-ecosystem] Trying to understand %buildsubdir and debuginfo generation

Jeff Johnson n3npq at me.com
Fri Apr 27 09:57:19 UTC 2018

> On Apr 27, 2018, at 4:34 AM, Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 04/27/2018 06:47 AM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote
>>
>> Seems... similar.
>> JJ> Talk to whomever decided that there was a need to overload %install
>> JJ> with a test on %buildsubdir.
>> OK, so, again, I'm trying to talk to this mailing list, which I thought
>> provided the best chance to reach the people who know.
>
> Well, git blame brings this up (redhat-rpm-config):
>
> commit 1640cd5cac6e1308de8f303e95089053e7f5c9b5 (tag: REDHAT_RPM_CONFIG_8_0_14)
> Author: Tim Powers <timp at redhat.com>
> Date:   Sat Dec 14 20:37:32 2002 +0000
>
>    more debug macro tweaks
>
> ...and that's all he wrote. Gotta love the descriptive commit messages of that era.

Well, Tim Powers was the QA guy assigned the daunting task of ensuring that all packages in RHEL3 rebuilt and created -debuginfo packages without any change to spec files whatsoever on 3 architectures based on RawHide.

That was a huge amount of effort, scripting around rpmbuild, no chained builds or Koji with a new set of packages in RawHide every day, no mock, no depsolver, no git, no code reviews, and on a delivery deadline.

And you should certainly know how twisted the rpmbuild parser is/was, and how very hacky -debuginfo production is.

If the terseness of the checkin bothers you, well, consider how many years it's taken to even detect the bogusness. And it's taken nearly that many years to get rid of the insanely mysterious hack involved with "Canonicalization shrank by 1 byte".

73 de Jeff