[Rpm-ecosystem] Trying to understand %buildsubdir and debuginfo generation

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri Apr 27 13:52:01 UTC 2018

NG> That said, it's required to make debuginfo packages get generated,
NG> as I found out when working on OpenMandriva's
NG> rpm-openmandriva-setup:
NG> https://github.com/OpenMandrivaSoftware/rpm-openmandriva-setup/commit/df94fda422f9bf3d9e32b6f8f59493d2d478daef

Well, it seems pretty obvious that actually expanding the %debug_package
macro (which includes the extra %package, %description and %files
sections) _somewhere_ in the spec is indeed necessary to generate
debuginfo.  But that commit doesn't say anything about why the
conditional on %buildsubdir needs to be there.

I guess it would be fun to see what breaks (and how it breaks) when you
use just:

%install %{?_enable_debug_packages:%{debug_package}} \
%%install \
%{nil}

instead.  But I'm not going to have time to do much of that today.

 - J<