[Rpm-ecosystem] [RpmSpec] - Require package that is not included in the default repo in Centos

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Wed Aug 15 15:28:13 UTC 2018

I'm not really sure this is on topic for this list.  I would suggest
that the epel-devel list might be closer to the mark.  Or even the
Fedora packaging list, though this isn't really about Fedora either.

In any case....

h> Hi, i'm trying to build a rpm package for my project. My rpm package
h> has dependencies that are not included in the default repo in
h> Centos. And then i did something.  But it doesn't work. Yum can't
h> find python36, python36-setuptools, python36-devel because of epel
h> release.

Well, I see at least a couple of issues:

1) The epel-release package is in the EPEL repository.  So you would
have to have it in some repository that's already configured in order
for anything to find it.  Generally for the first setup you grab and
install the epel-release RPM directly and not out of a repository.  See
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL#Quickstart

2) Even if you solved #1, the dependencies are all installed together.
So yum won't just install epel-release first and then redo all of the
dependency processing again to find the other packages.

You need to configure all relevant repositories at a higher level than
the specfile.  Since you're going to have to configure some custom
repository in order for yum to see your custom package, you should
probably just configure the epel repository at the same time.

 - J<