[Rpm-ecosystem] Fwd: Proposing a new way to deliver Atomic systems: rpm-ostree jigdo ♲📦

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Jan 2 13:52:11 UTC 2018

Hi Lubos, thanks for the feedback!

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018, at 3:14 AM, Lubos Kocman wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'd like to share my experience with using jigdo on RHEL-7 product builds.
> Most of that time is building images. JIGDO itself is big slowdown in the
> process and perhaps time-wise the most expensive item on the image build
> pipeline.
>
> Did someone do some performance measuring? Is it satisfying for your needs?
> From my point of view jigdo is worth some performance improvements.

In using this terminology here I've introduced a bit of confusion; we're just using
the *idea* of jigdo here.

The rpm-ostree jigdo implementation is completely different, and running
`rpm-ostree ex commit2jigdo` here takes about a minute to complete,
and most of that time is spent inside rpm-build compressing the jigdoRPM data.

Further I've already landed preparation for doing the jigdo run simultaneously
with the main treecompose:
https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/pull/1165

```
# time  rpm-ostree ex commit2jigdo --repo=repo-build --pkgcache-repo cache/pkgcache-repo/ fedora/27/x86_64/atomic-host /srv/walters/tmp/fedora-atomic-host.spec $(pwd)/tmp-jigdo-out
Finding reachable objects from target cadb1ae8cc017ccab7566af022be32f5f55f5e781bb02a4363303e3a4631e28f...
26907 content objects
Finding reachable objects from packages...
Building object map from 457 packages
25912 content objects in packages
  1247 duplicate, 37 unused
  99 big sizematches, 7866/33019 nonunique basenames
Found objects in 451/457 packages; new (unpackaged) objects: 970 small + 25 large
Packages without content:
  basesystem-11-4.fc27.noarch (0 bytes)
  emacs-filesystem-1:25.3-3.fc27.noarch (0 bytes)
  glibc-all-langpacks-2.26-16.fc27.x86_64 (113.1 MB)
  kernel-4.13.12-300.fc27.x86_64 (0 bytes)
  libreport-filesystem-2.9.3-1.fc27.x86_64 (0 bytes)
  rootfiles-8.1-21.fc27.noarch (599 bytes)
Wrote: /srv/fedora-atomic/tmp-jigdo-out/x86_64/fedora-atomic-host-27.28-1.fc27.x86_64.rpm
Executing(%clean): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.5hrg1I
+ umask 022
+ cd /tmp/rpmostree-jigdo-xyiWyR
+ /usr/bin/rm -rf /srv/fedora-atomic/tmp-jigdo-out/.build/fedora-atomic-host-27.28-1.fc27.x86_64
+ exit 0
real    0m49.675s
user    0m46.495s
sys     0m1.965s