[Rpm-ecosystem] What is the recommended procedure for building Fedora packages on EL7?

Jeff Johnson n3npq at me.com
Tue Jul 3 01:18:03 UTC 2018

> On Jul 2, 2018, at 5:26 AM, Miroslav Suchý <msuchy at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Dne 29.6.2018 v 21:28 Jeff Johnson napsal(a):
>> Examining EL7 bugzilla shows feature requests to backport weak dependencies and post-uninstall file triggers, two other incompatibilities between the versions of rpm in Fedora and EL7.
>
> The weak deps backport is just about parsing. No one is going to build packages with RichDeps for EL7 (at least I hope).
> This parsing is needed for application built on top of rpm. E.g., Red Hat Satellite (Spacewalk, Foreman). They run on
> EL7, but they are managing RPMs for Fedoras, next version of EL... So they need rpm library, which is able to parse the
> rpm and not fail on unknown tags.
>
>> 1) Is there a transition plan (y/N)?
>
> Transition from what to what?

From a version of rpm (and rpmlib) w/o the rich dependency parser to one with the rich dependency parser.

The silence is deafening, and I would be very surprised if a backport to EL7 was permitted.

Meanwhile this isn't the 1st time that Fedora could not be built with mock on EL7.

And a Fedora container on EL7 would surely "work" too. But that's a very different problem than you set out to solve by suggesting a version of rpm to install on EL7 in order to build Fedora packages with mock.

73 de Jeff