[Rpm-ecosystem] Some points about zchunk

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 11:55:35 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 7:30 AM Michael Schroeder <mls at suse.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 12:23:47PM +0100, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> > That's something I didn't think of, and you're absolutely right.
> >
> > So, to summarize, we'll leave the gzip entry as "primary", so legacy
> > systems will still download without any problems, and create a new
> > "primary at zchunk" that librepo will automagically download if zchunk is
> > supported?
>
> I think there should be some librepo option to enable this. Be it
> something boolean or a fancy string list that can be used for
> some future compression method.
>
> But I'm just one person. Can someone else on this list please speak
> up and tell us if we want to do something stupid or not? Maybe the
> librepo maintainer? Or the libdnf maintainer? Anybody?

While I agree that we should have an attribute that declares the
compression format for fetching, I wonder how legacy clients would
handle it? There must be a reason why we haven't done it so far after
going from gzip to bzip2 to lzma to xz?

It's not unprecedented for there to be stuff like this (we handle the
sqlite data variant with <foo>_db). We could, for consistency, do
"<foo>_zckxml" and have librepo fetch that when it's available.

That should allow for progressive enhancement as needed.