[Rpm-ecosystem] Required version of rpm?

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Tue Jun 26 13:46:42 UTC 2018

Dne 26.6.2018 v 14:57 Panu Matilainen napsal(a):
> On 06/26/2018 02:15 PM, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
>> Dne 26.6.2018 v 12:17 Neal Gompa napsal(a):
>>> rpmlib() dependencies are virtual, they aren't provided by anything,
>>> but are processed during the transaction and verified.
>>
>> 1) So the number in rpmlib(RichDependencies) means what version of rpm I should have. Right?
>
> Roughly yes, but beware there are cases where this is not true at all due to backports and sideports messing it all up.

OK - corner cases and backports aside. But... I am still puzzled.

$ rpm -qR redhat-rpm-config |grep Rich
rpmlib(RichDependencies) <= 4.12.0-1

So any rpm with verision *lower* than 4.12.0 will work? Should be there ">=" ?

> Not that you'd want to go telling to upgrade their rpm beyond what their distro provides, that's a recipe for disaster.

No, I do not want to do that. I just want to provide that user-friendly error.

Miroslav