[Rpm-ecosystem] rpm.org redesign feedback

Pavel Odvody podvody at redhat.com
Mon Apr 13 13:05:06 UTC 2015


On Fri, 2015-04-10 at 09:33 -0400, Radek Holy wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> as for https://github.com/lkardos/rpm/wiki, looks good to me. The structure is very clear, I'd say.
> 
> What I don't like is that in the end, there is almost no content. It's just a list of links to other resources. It evokes a feeling that RPM does not want to bother with a documentation. I personally don't trust any documentation that is outside of the project's website. But I assume that you are the authors of most of the linked documents so that is not your case. It's just the feeling.
> 
> Also the wiki format... For me, if a project uses a wiki as the content management system, it means that it's either a draft of the final website or that they have it just to have a website but that they don't want to use it to attract/educate users. Or even that users are the ones who does/should write the content. I mean, a wiki website does not look like a presentation of a modern project. But you know, DNF's "website" is maybe even worse...
> 
> But definitely I think it's a good start and I like it more than the current site. AFAIK, the goal was mainly to make the website more usable and I think that this was achieved. The critique above is more a suggestion where to focus in the future if there is a will.

+1. The content is great, we just need to work on the presentation a
little bit. Something easy, yet effective.

Do we actually need a full blown CMS like Drupal or Plone ? I think not,
I can imagine we extract the Markdown files from the wiki and then
process them with something like Jekyll to essentially stylize the
content for the web page while the `CMS` bookkeeping is done by the
Github wiki engine.

We might also consider something like AngularJS, and create the page
entirely as client side app, but I think that it's too bloated.
I've tried to use Angular for my weekend toy project, after I spent half
an afternoon getting the basics of it, I was unhappy with the results -
I wrote like 50kb of mostly glue & boilerplate code and wasn't still
even half way through it. After which I decided to go 'back to basics',
pulled out Bootstrapp and JQuery, stitched some 140LoC together and got
exactly what I wanted, see [1] if you're interested.

PS: I volunteer to take on this if we give it a go :)

[1]: http://shaded-enmity.github.io/armlet/

-- 
Pavel Odvody <podvody at redhat.com>
Software Engineer - EMEA ENG Developer Experience
5EC1 95C1 8E08 5BD9 9BBF 9241 3AFA 3A66 024F F68D
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkyňova 99/71, 612 45, Brno

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 819 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
URL: <http://lists.rpm.org/pipermail/rpm-ecosystem/attachments/20150413/e4aa014b/attachment.asc>


More information about the Rpm-ecosystem mailing list