[Rpm-ecosystem] Photon and dnf

Krishna Ganugapati krishnag at vmware.com
Fri Apr 24 05:11:39 UTC 2015

Jan,

Thanks a ton for the note.  Great to know that you're considering a full C implementation for dnf. That would be an awesome thing to do - we do find a bunch of users who would like this minimal low footprint implementation.

We're happy to look at libhif and if it meets our requirements using it.

One of the key things we're looking to do is build an daemon that calls libtdnf or libhif but provides remotable APIs so that an end user can look at the state of the rpm database and perform operations remotely.
This would allow us to build rich UI (using GTK). We've got a system working with RPC and also looking to build a REST head with authentication.

We'd love to demo this to you guys and get your feedback.  We plan to open source this daemon agent as well. We think this could be a neat addition for remote instrospection of the RPM database.

Perhaps we could collaborate on this as well.

Kind regards,

Krishna