[Rpm-ecosystem] Photon and dnf

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Apr 24 11:50:30 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015, at 01:11 AM, Krishna Ganugapati wrote:
> Jan,
>
> Thanks a ton for the note.  Great to know that you're considering a full C implementation for dnf. That would be an awesome thing to do - we do find a bunch of users who would like this minimal low footprint implementation.
>
> We're happy to look at libhif and if it meets our requirements using it.

There's a lot of important things that need to be lowered into a common C base, like GPG key management.

> One of the key things we're looking to do is build an daemon that calls libtdnf or libhif but provides remotable APIs so that an end user can look at the state of the rpm database and perform operations remotely.

Sounds like PackageKit?  Although in keeping with most local management APIs, it's DBus, not REST.

There's work on an rpm-ostree daemon:
https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/pull/116
Which is planning to be used by Cockpit, which is a remote UI for server management.