[Rpm-ecosystem] Wish: Modular RPM recipe capability

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Mon May 18 10:50:21 UTC 2015

Dne 16.5.2015 v 16:41 Conan Kudo (ニール・ゴンパ) napsal(a):
> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 5:50 PM, Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com
> <mailto:orion at cora.nwra.com>>wrote:
>
>     On 05/15/2015 01:59 PM, Conan Kudo (ニール・ゴンパ) wrote:
>     > How do I make macros?
>
>     I would have thought that google would lead to a good doc, but I
>     didn't see
>     one instantly.
>
>     Basically drop a file named macros.foo (or macros.whatever) in
>     /usr/lib/rpm/macros.d or /etc/rpm with something like:
>
>     %macroname value
>
>     See existing macros.* files for hints.  You can even have
>     arguments but that's
>     advanced/tricky.
>

>     --
>     Orion Poplawski
>     Technical Manager                     303-415-9701 x222
>     <tel:303-415-9701%20x222>
>     NWRA, Boulder/CoRA Office             FAX: 303-415-9702
>     <tel:303-415-9702>
>     3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com
>     <mailto:orion at nwra.com>
>     Boulder, CO 80301                   http://www.nwra.com
>

>> That sounds like something that would only work ​locally for me. While
> interesting, the intent is to be able to build packages on other
> systems I don't control how the build environment is constructed
> sanely while still keeping things readable.

It depends on structure of your project. For example every rubygem-
package in Fedora requires rubygems-devel package, which ships the
macros file [1]. You can load such macro into your current spec file
using %load directive (but you have to have quite recent RPM, I believe
4.11+). Or of course, you can specify macros directly in your .spec file.

Vít

[1] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ruby.git/tree/macros.rubygems
[2] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ruby.git/tree/ruby.spec#n92