[Rpm-ecosystem] Anyone interested in working on the dnf ansible module?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri May 22 16:42:34 UTC 2015

Greetings all,

I'm working on ansible, a configuration management tool that Fedora
Infrastructure is using to configure their servers.  In the near
future Fedora Infrastructure is going to want to deploy Fedora 22
servers where dnf is the native package manager.

Unfortunately, ansible's dnf module is quite buggy.  The module was
contributed to us (ansible upstream) last year and there's been very
little improvement on it since then.  I've had to take a look at it
because of some bugs and discovered that it seems to be an incomplete
port of the yum ansible module to dnf.  There's quite a few things in
the code that won't work because they are yum-API instead of DNF-API.
The module works for the most common code paths and configurations but
deviating from that will lead to errors.

I was hoping that I might find a few people on this list who'd be
interested in fixing up the dnf ansible module so that it can be a
first rate piece of code that does its job well on fedora 22 and
beyond.  if you're interested, please speak up here, on one of the
ansible mailing lists, finding me on irc (abadger1999 in
#ansible-devel on freenode) or the ansible github.  I'll be happy to
merge your code and get it into future ansible releases so that dnf is
well supported there.

Thanks,
-Toshio