[Rpm-ecosystem] libhif, and grand plans

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 15:30:30 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I've moved the libhif repo from my personal github space to
rpm-software-management. What I'm going to propose I do then is:

* Merge the hawkey subtree[1] to ./hawkey
* Merge the librepo subtree to ./librepo
* Add the extra Makefile.am for the librepo and hawkey projects
* Install the old non-introspection files as before
* Stop installing the librepo and hawkey .h files unless
--enable-deprecated is used
* Stop installing the librepo and hawkey shared libraries unless
--enable-deprecated is used
* Build libhawkey and librepo into libhif.so
* Kill the configure checks for librepo and hawkey in configure.ac
* Obsolete and provide the old librepo and hawkey packages in the libhif.spec

Some comments:
* I don't want to maintain everything! I think it's right the
respective maintainers have control over the two different
directories.
* We can keep the cmake stuff that make sense in the two other
projects if you're more comfortable using those; libhif is really just
linking together some objects and building a tarball.
* We can nuke --enable-deprecated when we are sure atomic/service side
depsolving has enough API in libhif.h to make it work.
* when we nuke the compat switch, we can start changing API in librepo
and hawkey, for instance using GList throughout and making the shared
constants have the same #define name.
* I don't think the code style being 100% the same is a huge problem,
and changing it kills git blame.

So comments welcome. If I don't hear anything by the end of the week
I'll assume everything is fine and start merging trees! Feel free to
nak with comments if you think I'm treading on toes.

Richard

[1] https://git-scm.com/book/en/v1/Git-Tools-Subtree-Merging