[Rpm-ecosystem] libhif, and grand plans

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 03:52:36 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 9:42 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:

>  On Mon, Jun 29, 2015, at 06:07 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
>

> Why in the world are you merging hawkey and librepo into libhif? We use
> them separately and others will want to use them separately.
>

> Can you elaborate on those use cases?  I know of "repository mirror" as a
> use case that's librepo only.  But even there, I ended up wanting a tool
> that could mirror a subset of a repo, and then you need depsolving.
>
> For hawkey, I can't really think of a use case where you wouldn't want the
> ability to fetch yum repositories.
>
> Are your projects public?
>
> The two current consumers of libhif I know of are:
>  - PackageKit
>  - rpm-ostree

​Sorry, I didn't mean to write "we", but I am looking to use hawkey for
something without librepo, as it's not for rpm-md repos. That said, the
point is that I don't see a strong case to remove the modularity that was
*just* introduced. I've personally never seen a scenario where that wasn't
regretted later.