[Rpm-ecosystem] libhif, and grand plans

Michael Schroeder mls at suse.de
Mon Jul 27 09:26:18 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 12:17:04PM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> ???Well, I'm looking into building a tool along the lines of mock that uses
> debbuild <https://secure.deepnet.cx/trac/debbuild>??? to generate Debian
> packages, using hawkey to do the dependency solving for build dependencies.
> The tool is going to be part of a greater system for me to have a
> lightweight builder system for building DEB/RPM packages from common
> sources. On the RPM side, there's mock for Fedora and I'm still trying to
> work out how I'm going to do it for SUSE and Mageia. The Debian side
> doesn't really have anything applicable to my needs, so I know I've got to
> build it up.

SUSE uses a package called 'build', which can build Fedora, SUSE, Debian,
Mageia, Archlinux packages. It sets up a build environment like mock,
but instead of just using chroot it can also use xen/kvm for the build.
(It's bascially the application the Open Build Service uses to build
packages.)

(Note that it doesn't use libsolv for depsolving, instead it errors
out if there are multiple providers for a dependency and there's
no preference defined.)

Cheers,
  Michael.

Michael Schroeder                                   mls at suse.de
SUSE LINUX GmbH,           GF Jeff Hawn, HRB 16746 AG Nuernberg