[Rpm-ecosystem] [RFC] RPM VCS tag. Building from VCS tag/branch/commit

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Aug 3 14:17:55 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015, at 09:50 AM, Igor Gnatenko wrote:

> Since 2010 we have defined VCS tag in RPM, but we're not using it
> actually. No guidelines for it, nothing other. Just tag.

Yeah...I pushed for this then dropped it - sorry about that.

> which will add all do we need in naming and archiving instead of

The "git instead of tarballs" is quite an interesting and detailed topic.
I have been working on one portion of the problem space here:
https://github.com/cgwalters/git-evtag

> rpm-side: if VCS specified -- clone, checkout, make git archive and
> use generated archive as source to use/unpack

This is another project of mine in this space:
https://github.com/cgwalters/rpmdistro-gitoverlay

It handles some important subtleties, such as doing recursive
mirroring and archiving for git submodules.