[Rpm-ecosystem] System upgrades in general (was Re: Fedora system upgrades in DNF)

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 02:45:04 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Kamil Paral <kparal at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > As zbyszek pointed out, current dnf-plugin-fedup has a "--distro
> > > -sync"
> > > flag for this. So changing the default behavior is technically
> > > trivial.
> > >
> > > Choosing the *best* default is a question of policy and best
> > > practices.
> > >
> > > So: what do other distros do? And what should Fedora's policy be?
> > >

> > I'm not sure what other distros do, but I'm inclined to suggest that
> > Fedora's policy be to do the distro-sync.
> >
> > Downgrade data incompatibilities are quite rare. Generally, such things
> > would only occur during a distribution upgrade anyway (in which case
> > it's an upgrade and everything should be fine). Contrarily, we have had
> > many issues in the past related to updates getting pushed stable in
> > Fedora N while Fedora N+1 is in Freeze, resulting in the upgrade
> > process having difficulty. But as long as Fedora N+1 passes
> > repoclosure, distro-syncing to it should be mostly safe.
> >
> > So my vote would be towards the distro-sync, but I'm certainly open to
> > hearing good arguments to the contrary.
>
> From my Fedora QA experience, I very much support Stephen here. Due to
> release freezes, we desync the package versions very often and we fight
> with upgrade path issues almost constantly. distro-sync by default
> would help us tremendously. I haven't yet seen a data incompatibility
> issue related to this.

​I see a couple of interesting advantages of this approach:

   - It will be possible to support direct upgrades from install media (as
   opposed to live media) by plugging the installer into dnf's system-upgrade
   capability. Generally, using install media means your system is offline, so
   it saves a few steps by not requiring reboots and whatnot.
   - It sounds like it might even be possible to directly upgrade to
   release N+2 or development trees with less hazards than the current process.

However, will "dnf system-upgrade" support being able to set up N+1
upgrades automatically? It'd be good if it had a mode to automatically
download N+1 data and trigger the reboot to do the upgrade.