[Rpm-ecosystem] Rich deps syntax finalization

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Mon Aug 31 14:14:21 UTC 2015

My thought after the discussion so far:

May be no one really cares about the syntax.
Still a lot of educating to do before rich deps go into production.

On 08/25/2015 02:11 PM, Florian Festi wrote:

> IF Operator

Guess we stay with (. IF . ELSE .) - even some people are more familiar
with (. ? . : .).

> We discussed whether the operators should be upper or lower case or case
> insensitive. So far we think *upper case* is better as is stands out
> between the typically lower case package names. But we are interested on
> second opinions on this, too.

I am now tending to actually *use lower case*. This is what most
programming languages do. May be familiarity beats emphasizing the
operators with CAPS.

So (. if . else .)

> AND and OR
> ==========

I think we go for "and" and "or" for consistency. In the end it is
really close with | and & to stay with dpkg. What pushed it over to and,
or was having a different but consistent style for the rich deps - in
opposite to macros and version comparisons.

> NOT not?
> ========

NOT is confusing people and they have problems coming up with real use
cases. So we will go without for now and reconsider when real need arises.

Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Florian

--

Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/ Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael