[Rpm-ecosystem] hawkey -> libhif merge

Honza Šilhan jsilhan at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 13:51:31 UTC 2015

> From: "Colin Walters" <walters at verbum.org>
>
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2015, at 09:59 AM, Honza Šilhan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > in hawkey/glib branch [1] is the most recent version of hawkey with glib
> > dependency
> > - Colin's patches applied. (Original Hawkey repository will stay without
> > glib
> > dependency.)
> >
> > Richard, lets try to merge it [1] with librepo and libhif to see how it
> > goes. Do
> > it in new separate repository at first, please. It will become officially a
> > part
> > of libhif after successful October hacking session if all component owners
> > will agree
>
> Is there a summary anywhere of the current plans?

Good idea, created [1]. You can extend it and then we can put it into libhif wiki.

> So hawkey/libhif will merge, and gain a new C API, but we'll try to preserve
> the Python bindings, right?

SSDS is using some parts of hawkey that was not achievable from libhif.
Michal, can you tell us what exactly are you missing in libhif?

So far everything that was available in hawkey from Python API had it's counterpart
in C. This will probably change even though I like this uniform idea. Python API
will definitely remain as it is.

> Are you implying librepo will merge as well?

I thought that was the plan so we will know where better fits repo config parsing
and Cashe integration.

Honza

[1] http://rpm.pad.engineering.redhat.com/lihif-hawkey-plans