[Rpm-ecosystem] hawkey -> libhif merge

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 14:06:23 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Honza Šilhan <jsilhan at redhat.com> wrote:

> > From: "Colin Walters" <walters at verbum.org>
> > Are you implying librepo will merge as well?
>
> I thought that was the plan so we will know where better fits repo config
> parsing
> and Cashe integration.
>

> Honza

​Ignoring for a second that there was a URL shared that doesn't work for
anyone in the outside world, can someone please explain what the role of
librepo and libcomps is? Because hawkey should *already* support *all* of
the functionality of those two libraries because libsolv does. As it says
on the libsolv README, it supports "rpmmd (primary, filelists, comps,
deltainfo/presto, updateinfo)"​. Is there a good reason for
hawkey/libhif/DNF not using that?

At first, I thought there was some compelling feature supported in
libcomps/librepo (like maybe it was able to support downloading only the
differences of rpm-md information, which would be nice because that data
can be huge). But I see no such feature noted anywhere. So what's the
reason for this?