remove an installed rpm during rpm -i

devzero2000 pinto.elia at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 13:00:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org>
wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, devzero2000 wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 8:36 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>>       On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Valery Reznic wrote:
>>
>>       > Did you try to use Obsolete tag ?
>>       >

>> a couple of things about the whole thread
>>
>> 1. obsolete does not work when you're rpm -i'ing pkgs. Only rpm -U
>>
>> 2. modifying the rpmdb from a %post or %pre is an unsafe idea and
>> prone to
>> causing things to "end badly".
>>

>> It depends. If Jeff tell it is possible to have an "RPM bundle" (e.g. an
>> rpm that install rpm(s) itself) then perhaps
>> it is not so unsafe in first place. I personally have written un rpm that
>> use yum for pull update.
>
> It "works", except when it doesn't. If you can make sure the bundle is
> only ever installed in a transaction of it's own, without --root, it'll
> probably work just fine. But "rpm from within rpm" does break in some
> cases, for example certain chroot install scenarios and more esoteric
> cases such as glibc futex implementation changing in the same transaction.
> And the breakage will always happen when you least expect it ;)

I must therefore imagine that the ability to " concurrent access" of rpm it
is wrong.

i.e. rpm --showrc

Features supported by rpmlib:
    rpmlib(VersionedDependencies) = 3.0.3-1
        PreReq:, Provides:, and Obsoletes: dependencies support versions.
*    rpmlib(ConcurrentAccess) = 4.1-1
        package scriptlets may access the rpm database while installing.
*

For me it is only little documented. But if it is thus harmful, it can sure
itself  be removed if you think so.

But sometime it is a useful feature (for me almost) . For example there
exists cases of installation of RPM products proprietary that do not mandate
rpm dependencies but that they work only  if installed in a precise order. A
rpm bundle it is a way for solving this problem.

Regards