Issues while packaging java app with rpmbuild...

Ann Basso ann_basso1 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 20:14:14 UTC 2008

I am trying to package a java application into an RPM. I have gone through several tutorials and I am also able to make an RPM but there are some issue with it that I am unable to figure out.
Basically, the java app consists of a couple of jars, a property file, and a shell script to trigger the app. jars are generated by ant.
Now, even after reading so much about rpm spec files, I am totally confused about the following things -

1. Where should I put my jars and other files? rpm/SOURCES or rpm/BUILD? Since my jars are already ready (created by ant) I don't want to do anything in "build" section. There is nothing to build. Right?
2. What should I do in "Install" section? I would like to have the user install the application (i.e. the jars) in /home/username/javaapps/myapp. Should I actually install (i.e. just create this directory structure /home/annb/javaapps/myapp) or should I create this dir structure under Install?
3. what should go in the files section? As I understand, all the files that I want in the rpm should be listed here. But I am totally lost about from where should I pick the files? From BUILD or from INSTALL?
4. This is what I have in my spec file. (Shown below). When it creates an rpm, the rpm contains the hardcoded directoty structure i.e. /home/annb/...
Please help. I am really tired of this now.

[code]
%define _prefix         /home/robert/javaapps
%define name      PCMonitor
%define summary   PC Monitor
%define version   1
%define release   1
%define license   GPL
%define group     Development/Languages
%define source    http://none.net
%define url       http://none.net
%define vendor    None
%define packager  Ann B

Name:      %{name}
Version:   %{version}
Release:   %{release}
Packager:  %{packager}
Vendor:    %{vendor}
License:   %{license}
Prefix:    %{_prefix}
BuildArchitectures: noarch

%description
PC Monitor
%prep
%build
cp -r %{_topdir}/SOURCES/*  %{_topdir}/BUILD/pcmonitor
%install
cp -r %{_topdir}/BUILD/*  %{_prefix}/pcmonitor
%clean
%files
%{_prefix}/pcmonitor

[/code]