Building rpm, x86_64 and i386 architecture, rpm --upgrade

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Apr 8 20:28:04 UTC 2009

Greg_Swift at aotx.uscourts.gov wrote:
>> Could someone experienced comment on my problem?
>
> That's not how multilib works.  It is designed to allow both to be there,
> and whatever binary is utilizing them will point to the one relevant to its
> arch.  You could play with "Conflicts" as an option, but I couldn't tell
> you if that would work or not having never needed to do it (and you would
> be having the spec telling RPM that the package conflicts with itself).
>
> I guess if you really wanted to achieve it and Conflicts doesn't work on
> package.arch, you could create them as two differently named packages
> (megacli32.i386 and megacli64.x86_64) and set the conflicts based on the
> main package name.

What I did when I did this kind of thing before (and this going from
memory) -

%ifarch i386
provides: %name-i386
%endif

%ifarch x86_64
obsoletes: %name-i386
%endif

There might have been more to it than that, I don't remember - but
basically they had the same name but the x86_64 version obsoleted the
i386 version.