How-to not get a "depency resolution failed" for a already existing library.

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 11 18:38:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 08:47 -0700, L Pierre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been struggling a few days now to create an installable rpm and no joy.
>
> On installation I get "Dependency resolution failed" message: "libsemnoteslib.so is needed by package plasma-semnotes-0.3.0-1.fc10.i386 (/plasma-semnotes-0.3.0-1.fc10.i386)" although the library does reside on /usr/lib
>
> What I need: I need to install my application that uses a library "libsemnoteslib.so". This library already resides in /usr/lib/. The library should not be installed by my rpm.

 Bad idea. Don't do that, it's not that hard to auto. package new builds
up in an rpm (just create a make target). And rpm isn't designed to work
if you do that.
 If you think you must, then you can work around it with a "fake" rpm
that uses ghost to "provide" files and/or manual provides for things
like "libfoo.so()" automatic. provides/requires.

> Then, as enhancement,it would be nice to just check it the library exists on /usr/lib if not, do not install otherwise install.

 Either of the above ways of doing it means this just works.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora