question about package conflicts

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 11 02:00:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 15:40 -0800, Dave Peterson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about RPM package conflicts: Does RPM
> view two packages as being in conflict whenever both
> packages provide a file with the exact same pathname?

It's a bit complicated.

1. if the checksums of the files are identical then it is not a conflict
2. if the checksums of the files are NOT identical, but they are
binaries (elf) then if the two owning packages are of different (but
compatible) colors then there is not a conflict.

I think that's the majority of the file conflict behavior but I'm sure
there are things I've missed.

-sv