First ever rpm, how are files extracted from the rpm and where do they go?

Ignacio Valdes ivaldes at hal-pc.org
Wed Feb 11 15:41:41 UTC 2009

I understand all of the build and stuff, it just does not seem to
apply to what mine is doing. The package I have is not C based at all
and requires a great deal of post processing (300 line shell script)
to install it on the target machine. The difficulty is for example on
the target machine myfirstcontroller.sh needs to end up in
/opt/myfirstrpm/bin/myfirstcontroller.sh and has to be run through sed
first to take into account local parameters. Getting
myfirstcontroller.sh into the rpm is not the issue, getting it out of
myfirst.rpm through sed and into
/opt/myfirstrpm/bin/myfirstcontroller.sh is the issue. I understand
that probably the processing needs to go into %post but how
myfirstcontroller.sh is extracted from rpm, and where it goes so that
I may process it with sed first is opaque to me right now.

-- IV