A couple basic binary RPM questions

Paul Krauss pkrauss at cmcplace.com
Thu Jan 8 15:57:10 UTC 2009

I'm new to rpm's and spent most of yesterday at work coming up with a
simple binary rpm file.  My prep section unpacks the tar file. Which
contains 2 binary executables, a config file, and a shared object.  The
build section does nothing.  My install section creates a directory in
the opt/ folder and copies over the 4 files.

My question is: I've noticed that in almost every example I see on the
net for binary rpms, people are calling ./configure ./make and ./make
install.  Doesn't that seem overly complicated?  Why not just a couple
copy commands?  All we are trying to do with a binary rpm is place some
executable files in the person's file system, right?

Thanks, Paul