installing an rpm from another rpm's %post script

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 23 00:05:41 UTC 2009

Hey rpm-ers,

I'm trying to create an RPM package that contains other RPM
packages and installs those sub-packages as part of the %post
script.   However when I try this I get a lock failure:

warning: waiting for transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/__db.000

Is there some way to do a recursive RPM install?

For more details:

When you run "rpm -U foo.rpm" it installs a bunch of RPM files.
So foo.rpm installs /usr/lib/foo/packages/foo-{1,2,3}.rpm
Then in the foo.rpm %post script I want to:

  rpm -U foo-1.rpm foo-2.rpm foo-3.rpm

Is there a good way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

-derek