why is database location under /${prefix} ?

Rob Maidment Rob.Maidment at clearswift.com
Tue Jul 7 13:53:47 UTC 2009

I have built RPM 4.7.0 and installed it as per the instructions in the
INSTALL file, culminating in a successful call to "make install".  My
linux is "from scratch", the kernel version is 2.6.27.4.

Following the install of RPM there is no RPM database (the Packages file
does not exist anywhere).  If I execute "rpm --initdb" a folder called
"${prefix}" (literally, but without the quotes) is created under root
and I end up with the following files:

/${prefix}/var/lib/rpm/Packages

/${prefix}/var/lib/rpm/__db.000

/${prefix}/var/lib/rpm/__db.001

/${prefix}/var/lib/rpm/__db.002

/${prefix}/var/lib/rpm/__db.003

/${prefix}/var/lib/rpm/__db.004

If I then try to install a package I get the following error: "ERROR:
Cannot get shared lock on RPM Database."

Does anyone know why my database is in such a strange location, and why
I cannot install any packages?

TIA,

Rob

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are strictly confidential, may be privileged and are intended only for use by the addressee unless otherwise indicated.  If you are not the intended recipient any use, dissemination, printing or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it immediately and contact the sender as soon as possible.  Clearswift cannot be held liable for delays in receipt of an email or any errors in its content. Clearswift accepts no responsibility once an e-mail and any attachments leave us. Unless expressly stated, opinions in this message are those of the individual sender and not of Clearswift.

This email message has been inspected by Clearswift for inappropriate content and security threats.

To find out more about Clearswift’s solutions please visit www.clearswift.com