possible to build an RPM from source directory rather than tarball?

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 23:58:41 UTC 2009

Sorry if this is a FAQ... I didn't find the answer by googling yet, anyway.

At my job (working on an embedded system), we are hosting the RPM
directory (the whole tree that would normally be at /usr/src/rpm) in
ClearCase.  That way we get version control of SPEC files.  But, for
in-house maintained stuff (like say a collection of scripts that goes
into an RPM), it's not convenient to have to make a tarball.  I check
in the tarball, but to see diffs from one version to the next, you'd
have to check out both versions, untar them, and do a diff.  Is there
a way for a spec file to specify that the source comes from a
directory instead?  Then we could version-control each file that goes
into the RPM rather than having to check in the whole tarball.  For
example I could just check in the BUILD directory (and all
subdirectories and files) instead, and have rpmbuild skip the
untarring step, assuming that the tar has already been extracted
there.