Defines for detecting build OS?

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Tue Mar 3 14:45:55 UTC 2009

Hi there.  My apologies if this is something that's covered in
documentation somewhere... but, due to the inability to google for
punctuation, I'm finding it a bit hard to locate the appropriate
docs.  I've done what I think is a reasonable amount of manual
searching of documentation without coming up with anything.

I often see spec files that reference defines which appear to be set
by the OS... for example, phrases like "%if 0%{?rhel}".  Where are
these defined?  I can't find references in the files in /usr/lib/rpm/
or /etc/rpm/, and can't see a list of these defines in the available
documentation.

Is there a relatively complete list of these defines somewhere?  Is
there a config file in each RPM-using OS where a local one is
defined?  Pointers would be quite welcome.

Thanks!
    Matt