Create a RPM package that install other RPM package!

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 4 15:34:31 UTC 2009

Quoting seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org>:

> On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 10:06 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> writes:

>> resource is locked by
>> >>

>> > no. It's not possible.
>>
>> Actually, I was trying to solve this and I got it to work by
>> moving the transaction lock out of the way, performing the secondary
>> rpm operation, and then moving the rpm lock back into place.
>>

> this falls into the category of extraordinarily bad ideas. Seriously,
> don't encourage others to break the transaction lock.

If RPM supported it natively I wouldn't have to.   But I'm distributing
third-party software that's in multiple RPMs but I want my users to
only have to manually download a single file.  I have limited options.
My choices are:

1) a shar-like self-extracting archive that contains and installs the
   necessary RPMS, or
2) an RPM that contains and installs additional RPMs.

Saying "use yum" just doesn't solve the problem I'm trying to solve.
But between these choices I prefer options 2.

> -sv

-derek