odd package conflict behavior

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Mon Mar 9 10:01:26 UTC 2009

This is a known problem already fixed upstream (commit
47c85270631de173d873b98bc79727e2db203007). The way multilibs works it
requires all non binary files to be identical (including file attributes
like mtime, owner, permissions, ...) for 32 and 64 bit. This is a non
trivial problem for packagers as lots of files contain generated timestamps
or other problematic stuff. I guess this behaviour was implemented to make
sure that at least the first installation does work somehow.

In general I advise to avoid installing the 32 bit packages except for
libraries that are needed by 3rd party applications. This is what Fedora is
doing by default right now.

Florian