Upgrade from rpm 3.0.6

Thomas Jarosch thomas.jarosch at intra2net.com
Fri May 29 09:45:24 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm currently looking into a way to do an upgrade from a Redhat Linux 6.2
based system running rpm 3.0.6. I've managed to get a recent glibc 2.9.2
+ gcc 4.3.2 and kernel 2.6.29 running and tested the upgrade process.
Though I had to package everything as rpm3 packages...

rpm3 uses db1 as database format. The convertdb1 utility was removed some
while ago, I'm wondering what would be the best way to upgrade to rpm 4.7?

Do I have to go the rpm 4.0.4 route first? From what I can see in the
rpm releases archive, version 4.4.2 still includes the db1 BDB code.

I remember hanging rpm processes when I upgraded my workstation to RH 7.0,
is this still an issue? IIRC it was something about threading and rpm 4.x.
The upgrade should be done automatically on around 2.000 boxes.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Thomas