Using .deb style subdirectories with rpm?

devzero2000 pinto.elia at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 22:03:41 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Ignacio Valdes <ivaldes at hal-pc.org> wrote:

> Hi all again,
>
> I am going from a .deb to an rpm. The .deb has the files in
> subdirectories such as /etc/init.d/foobar  I planned to just have /etc
> in the file list and then do a copy command such as:
>
> cp -Rf $whereRwe/etc /etc
>
> Is that the usual way you can deal with a deb-style file heirarchy
> with rpm? Is there a better way?
>
> It is not clear, at me almost, your question. BTW, the "deb-style file
hierarchy" is almost equivalent to the files/directory you create in the rpm
%install section, in the rpm buildroot. Now in %install section you can do
something like this

rm -rf %{buildroot}
mkdir -p %{buildroot}/etc/init.d
cp -a %{SOURCE1}   %{buildroot}/etc/init.d/mypkg
(where the (rpm) macro SOURCE1 was defined as
Source1: mypkg.init for example in the SPEC)
and in %files

%files

config(noreplace) /etc/init.d/myconfig

So your question, IMHO, is not what deb does (deb is a packaging format e.g
an ar archive with some metainfo for the dpkg , gdebi ecc. tools ) but what
a dh_make does in building a skeleton for your package for make it a
<pkg>.deb. Similar to what does, for example, for rpm the rpmdevtools (in
particular *rpmdev-newspec), *with some difference of course*. *But there
are other build system for rpm , as for deb.

hth